Easily Capture and Share Student Work
Create videos in the classroom with Shadow Puppet Edu
Check out Seesaw for Student Driven Digital Portfolios
Seesaw empowers students of any age to independently document what they are learning at school.
Students capture learning with photos and videos of physical work, or by adding digital creations. Everything is uploaded and kept organized for teachers.
Teachers can invite families to Seesaw so parents get an immediate, personalized window into their child’s learning.
Create Custom Videos, Slideshows or Presentations
Combine Photos & Videos
Use photos and video clips from camera roll, photo stream, or albums.
Add Narration & Music
Record voice over, add songs from iTunes, or choose background music.
Overlay Text & Draw on Screen
Use the Text tool to add titles on your videos. Draw on screen with colors or emoji. Zoom in/out, pan and swipe between pages.
Common Core Aligned Ideas
Find activities for English, math, science, history, art, and foreign language in the app. More info >>
Search for Images & Maps
Search educational sources like Library of Congress, Met Museum, and NASA for images and maps with safe search filters in place.More info >>
Share with the class and parents. No app needed to view. Or embed videos on a website or blog.
Videos automatically save to camera roll. Export in HD. Upload to YouTube, Dropbox, or Google Drive.
All Features Unlocked
Free for classroom use. Use up to 100 items per video and record up to 30 minutes.
See How Other Teachers Use Shadow Puppet
Reflecting on Art Projects in Elementary School
I love that using Shadow Puppet combines art, literacy and technology into one great piece of work.”
Lys Olson, 1st – 6th Grade Art Teacher
Science Videos for Flipped Classroom
Shadow Puppet completely changed the way I share concepts with my students. Now I create customized content easily.”
Heather Green, 7th – 8th Grade Science Teacher
Learning and Practicing Using Foreign Language
Getting students to speak aloud is one of my biggest challenges. Shadow Puppet helped get them excited about speaking.”
Gabrielle Schoppa, 7th – 8th Grade French Teacher
Third Graders Record Books for Classroom Listening Center
Shadow Puppet is hands on. It pushes my students to go beyond just regurgitation of information, and they love it.”
Lindsay Carriere, 3rd Grade Teacher
Creating Multimedia Personal Essays in High School
Using Shadow Puppet, the students were able to visualize and refine their message. They told better stories as a result.
Scott Walker, Tech Integration Specialist
First Graders Share Findings from an Experiment
The reason I like to use Shadow Puppet is because it is so simple. There’s no guesswork. It’s pretty foolproof”
Jennifer Malloy, 1st Grade Teacher
K – 6 Students Read Aloud & Document Field Trips
Shadow Puppet is nice because it’s simple but versatile. I like an app that we can apply across subjects and use for multiple activities.”
Zack Linson, Tech Integration Specialist
Shadow Puppet Activity Ideas
Find more Common Core-aligned activity ideas inside the app
English & Language Arts
- Practice reading aloud from a book or poem
- Summarize a story describing beginning, middle and end
- Diagram a sentence or describe grammar rules
- Create an infomercial for a make-believe product
- Describe the steps of how to make something
- Practice spelling by sounding out words
- Practice counting using the tap-to-highlight pointer
- Find geometric shapes, angles, or fractions around the classroom
- Explain the steps to solve a math problem
- Show how make a graph from a set of data
- Explain how to count money
- Teach someone how to tell time
- Document an experiment and explain results
- Explain a cell diagram or frog dissection
- Describe the lifecycle of a plant, habitat of an animal or structure of an element
- Compare the planets in solar system or the world’s different biomes
- Use images to explain concepts that are hard to access inside the classroom
History & Social Studies
- Create mock advertisements for historical services
- Tell what you would do if you were president
- Share the history of a city, state or country
- Pretend to be a historical figure and share your thoughts on an issue
- Summarize a historical event describing beginning, middle and end
- Explain the meaning of a drawing, painting, photograph or sculpture
- Give a report on a famous artist or art movement
- Color & form photo scavenger hunt
- Make a portfolio of the year’s projects and create a virtual museum of the class’ work
- Create technique tutorials or how-to videos
- Use new vocabulary in a creative story
- Read a news article or story written in the language and summarize it
- Explain how to conjugate verbs
- Diagram sentences, explain and read them aloud
- Make personalized flashcards
- Describe weekend plans in the language
Image Search Expands Video Making Possibilities
Built-in image search makes it easy to create videos, even when you don’t have the right images on your device. Find the perfect images to include in history reports, science concept explanations, and more.
Access image search from the photo selection screen.
Educational Image Search Sources:
- Library of Congress
- The British Library
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
You can search these image catalogs and select images to include in your videos just as if they were in your camera roll.
For additional information about each image search source, including copyright info and lesson ideas click here >>
Image credits are automatically added to videos.
Simple Image Citation
When you share or export, image credits are automatically added to the end of all videos that include web images and maps, so students can learn about citing their sources. Image citation is on by default and can be disabled in the Shadow Puppet settings menu.
Safe Search & Option to Disable Search
Web searches use the strictest image search settings available from the search provider and we have additional safe search filters layered on top to make sure the content served is appropriate for students.
Administrators can disable Web Image Search and/or Educational Image Search in the device’s Settings app.
Add Maps and Satellite Images Directly into Videos
Search for a location, toggle between map or satellite view, drop pins, and then snap a photo of the map to include in your video. Do a capital city scavenger hunt, identify geographic formations, or create a family heritage map.
Famous Landmark Gallery
Use our Famous Landmarks gallery as a jumping off point for a report on an important natural or man-made landmark, to give context around a historical event, or discuss the belief systems of different cultures.
Third grade students create an informative, persuasive video using photos from image search and drawings.
Supports the Common Core
Shadow Puppet can be incorporated across your curriculum to support these Common Core State Standards. Check out the 20+ Common Core aligned activity ideas inside the app!
- Use technology, including the Internet, to produce and publish writing and to interact and collaborate with others. CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.6
- Make strategic use of digital media and visual displays of data to express information and enhance understanding of presentations. CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.SL.5
- Create audio recordings of stories or poems. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.SL.2.5 – 4.5
- Include multimedia components and visual displays in presentations enhance the development of main ideas or themes. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.SL.5.5 – 12.5
- Present information such that listeners can follow the line of reasoning and the organization, development, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.CCRA.SL.4
- Speak audibly and express thoughts, feelings, and ideas clearly. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.SL.K.6
Easily Create Video Lessons for Flipped Classroom
Shadow Puppet is simple, straightforward and extremely versatile, which makes it a great tool for teachers.
It’s fast and easy to create the lesson materials you need with Shadow Puppet:
- Create mini-lessons for blended learning
- Explain a complicated concept with the help of images
- Develop a more engaging prompt for an assignment or class discussion
- Provide an example of a final project for your students
Create customized lesson videos tailored to the learning level of your students in just minutes.
Printables to Help You Get Started with Shadow Puppet
Quick Start Guide
Learn Shadow Puppet basics before using the app with your students.
A printable overview of our activity ideas to help brainstorm how to use the app with your students.
This worksheet helps students plan what images they’ll use and what they’ll say in their videos.
Image Search FAQ
Frequently asked questions about our built in image search feature.
Image Search Sources
Description of each image search source with lesson ideas and copyright info.
Digital Storytelling Packet
Teach students how to construct digital stories, including characters, setting, and plot.